RE: revised proposed definition of "input error" - action item

Andi proposes:

input error: any information provided by the user that is not accepted
by the Web site/delivery unit. This includes:

1. information that is required by the Web site/delivery unit but
omitted by the user. 2. information that is provided by the user but
that falls outside the data format or values required by the Web
site/delivery unit.

Do we even have to say "by anything"?

I think this is good. I think we should use "delivery unit" rather than
"Web site," so that this SC is consistent with the others.  If there's
concern about whether Web applications are adequately covered, we could
say something like "... Web application or other delivery unit..."
In #2 above, we don't absolteyly *have& to say "required by antying,"
but I think it will be clearer if we do.

MHO.

John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, fax 512-495-4524
email jslatin@mail.utexas.edu
Web http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility

I think we have a little bit of redundancy with using both "expected"
and "required". How about "data format or values required by...".

I don't think we have consensus yet on using web site vs. delivery unit
vs. Web site so I've included both

So then we have:

input error: any information provided by the user that is not accepted
by the Web site/delivery unit. This includes:

1. information that is required by the Web site/delivery unit but
omitted by the user. 2. information that is provided by the user but
that falls outside the data format or values required by the Web
site/delivery unit.

Do we even have to say "by anything"?

Could we just say

input error: any information provided by the user that is not accepted.
This includes:

1. information that is required but omitted by the user.
2. information that is provided by the user but that falls outside the
required data format or values.

Andi
andisnow@us.ibm.com
IBM Accessibility Center
(512) 838-9903, http://www.ibm.com/able
Internal Tie Line 678-9903, http://w3.austin.ibm.com/~snsinfo

             "John M Slatin"

             <john_slatin@aust

             in.utexas.edu>
             Sent by:                  "Makoto UEKI  - Infoaxia, Inc. -"

             public-wcag-teamc         <ueki@infoaxia.co.jp>,

             -request@w3.org           <public-wcag-teamc@w3.org>

cc

             09/23/2005 09:40
Subject
             AM                        RE: revised proposed definition
of
                                       "input error" - action item

Andi wroteproposed the following definition of input error:

> input error: any information provided by the user that is not accepted

> by the Web site. This includes: 1. information that is required by the

> Web site but omitted by the user. 2. information that is provided by
> the user but that falls outside the expected format or content
> parameters required by the Web site.

I like the definition, but agree with Makoto that we should say
"delivery unit" instead of "Web site."

Also, I'm not sure I understand what "content parameters" means. Would
"expected values" work instead? (Forgive me if this is something Team C
has gone 'round and 'round about...)