Re: use-cases and scenarios for conformance evaluation

From: Elle <nethermind@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:21:06 -0400
To: Kathy Wahlbin <kathy@interactiveaccessibility.com>
Cc: Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>, Eval TF <public-wai-evaltf@w3.org>
These documents are really helpful, everyone; thank you for sharing them.

At my organization this year, we developed a five-step process for
evaluation and conformance to accessibility for new development projects:

*During the initial development phase (agile methodology):*

   - Story level automated testing by the developer as a Done When criteria
   - Story level manual testing by the systems IT tester

*During User Acceptance Testing phase:*

   - Comprehensive automated testing
   - Strategic expert manual testing based on business analyst use cases
   - Comprehensive expert disabled user testing

I think it's important to note the different kinds of testing that's needed
(and feasible) at different stages of development. While this might seem
tedious or overzealous, it was the only way we could have any confidence in
producing accessible development. At a large organization, so many hands
touch each page that we felt that an overlap was necessary.  We're still
working to achieve full compliance, but it's not due to a lack of
identifying the issues. If I can get the documentation approved for the
wiki, I'll post them for use if it seems it would help others.

Thanks,
Elle