Re: Difference between consulting and testing

Hi Alistair, all,

for an "institutional" seperating of Consulting and Testing I'm not sure. It has of course advantages. But even a pure testing organisation or a tester might favorize some techniques for others. I see it more in the context of different roles:

In the role of a consultant the person it is important to recommend the "best" (usable, ..., ...) sufficient technique for a given web page or process and so on. In the role of a tester it is "just" important wether the SC is met or not. I agree with Alistair in so far as a final test should not provide corrective consultances. Apart from a final test we can have the case of a "consultancy test" as a part of a development process. This one I think can include corrective consultancies but then even when the person is testing he is in the role of a  consultant. But it's a thin red line the more a development process comes to the "end".

Probably it is as Richard pointed out a bit too early for this. But I think we have to keep it in mind and should describe the problems which could arise when mixing these levels.

Best

Kerstin