Versioning of EARL docs (was: Minor updates to requirements document)

From: Johannes Koch <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:52:37 +0200
To: public-wai-ert@w3.org
Clarification: My comments were not directly about the requirements
document, but about versioning of our docs in general. I only stimbled
about it when reading the requirement doc's abstract.

Michael A Squillace schrieb:
>> EARL 1.0 Schema. Is it the schema document (the core) for the 1.0
>> version of EARL? Or the 1.0 version of EARL Schema?
> It's the version of the entire suite of vocabularies.

Hmm. What's the version then for the Schema document (the core of EARL)?

> The requirements
> document applies to the vocabulary, which we agreed was defined over
> multiple specs.

Yes, I don't object that.

>> Do we also want to version e.g. Content-in-RDF?
>> What if Content-in-RDF gets a new version number, say 1.1. Would that
>> make EARL the vocabulary version 1.1, even if EARL Schema is not changed?

> Good point. My own view is that all of the documents should be versioned

The schema document would then be titled

"EARL 1.0 Schema 1.0"? :-)

> and that, when one changes, the version of the suite changes. The suite is
> not defined entirely in terms of the core vocabulary (i.e. the schema) nor
> should the version be defined in that way.

Let's say, currently we have

"EARL 1.0 Schema" version 1.0
"Content-in-RDF" version 1.0
in summa: EARL (the vocabulary) 1.0

Now, only Content-in-RDF gets updated to version 1.1. Would that make
EARL (the vocabulary) also go to version 1.1? How then would the schema
document be titled? "EARL 1.1 Schema 1.0"?

Johannes Koch
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT
Web Compliance Center
Phone: +49-2241-142628    Fax: +49-2241-142065