Re: Versioning of EARL docs (was: Minor updates to requirements document)

> Clarification: My comments were not directly about the requirements
> document, but about versioning of our docs in general. I only stimbled
> about it when reading the requirement doc's abstract.
Understood.

> Hmm. What's the version then for the Schema document (the core of EARL)?
> The schema document would then be titled
> "EARL 1.0 Schema 1.0"? :-)
For now, its version is 1.0 and its title is EARL Schema 1.0.

> Let's say, currently we have
> "EARL 1.0 Schema" version 1.0
> "Content-in-RDF" version 1.0
> in summa: EARL (the vocabulary) 1.0
> Now, only Content-in-RDF gets updated to version 1.1. Would that make
> EARL (the vocabulary) also go to version 1.1? How then would the schema
> document be titled? "EARL 1.1 Schema 1.0"?
Precisely, except that the title of the core schema is still EARL Schema
1.0.

The other option, of course, is to not version the vocabulary itself at all
and version only the schema.  This seems misleading, though, since the
vocabulary is indeed made up of multiple specifications and, therefore,
would change if one of the specs changed. I'm not sure what W3C guidelines
about versioning come into play here. Will look into this before tomorrow's
call.

--> Mike Squillace
IBM Human Ability and Accessibility Center

W:512.286.8694
M:512.970.0066

External: http://www.ibm.com/able
Internal: http://w3.ibm.com/able

             Johannes Koch
             <johannes.koch@fi
             t.fraunhofer.de>                                           To
             Sent by:                  public-wai-ert@w3.org
             public-wai-ert-re                                          cc
             quest@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Versioning of EARL docs (was: Minor
             06/23/2009 08:52          updates to requirements document)
             AM

Michael A Squillace schrieb:
>> EARL 1.0 Schema. Is it the schema document (the core) for the 1.0
>> version of EARL? Or the 1.0 version of EARL Schema?
> It's the version of the entire suite of vocabularies.

Hmm. What's the version then for the Schema document (the core of EARL)?

> The requirements
> document applies to the vocabulary, which we agreed was defined over
> multiple specs.

Yes, I don't object that.

>> Do we also want to version e.g. Content-in-RDF?
>> What if Content-in-RDF gets a new version number, say 1.1. Would that
>> make EARL the vocabulary version 1.1, even if EARL Schema is not
changed?

> Good point. My own view is that all of the documents should be versioned

The schema document would then be titled

"EARL 1.0 Schema 1.0"? :-)

> and that, when one changes, the version of the suite changes. The suite
is
> not defined entirely in terms of the core vocabulary (i.e. the schema)
nor

--
Johannes Koch
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT