RE: DCMI type software

From: Carlos Iglesias <carlos.iglesias@fundacionctic.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:04:18 +0200
To: "Johannes Koch" <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>, <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

Hello world,

> <http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/>:
>    The DCMI Type Vocabulary provides a general, cross-domain list of
>    approved terms that may be used as values for the Resource Type
>    element to identify the genre of a resource.
> If I read this correctly, this does not define classes but
> only a controlled vocabulary for values for the "type"
> property in <http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/>. So
> how can we replace earl:Software with this?

As far as my precarious RDF knowledge reach, I think this does define classes (as seen at [http://dublincore.org/2003/12/08/dctype])

<dcterms:DCMIType rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Software">
<rdfs:label xml:lang="en-US">Software</rdfs:label>
<rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/"/>
<rdfs:comment xml:lang="en-US">Software is a computer program in source or
		compiled form which may be available for installation
		non-transiently on another machine. For software which
		exists only to create an interactive environment, use
		interactive instead.</rdfs:comment>
<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
<dc:type rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/principles/#vocabulary-term"/>
<dcterms:hasVersion rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/history/#Software-001"/>

They may be used as values for Resource Type, but in fact they are classes that could be used elsewhere.

Carlos Iglesias

CTIC Foundation
Science and Technology Park of Gijón
33203 - Gijón, Asturias, Spain