RE: DCMI type software

From: Carlos Iglesias <carlos.iglesias@fundacionctic.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:04:18 +0200
To: "Johannes Koch" <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>, <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

Hello world,

> <http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/>:
>    The DCMI Type Vocabulary provides a general, cross-domain list of
>    approved terms that may be used as values for the Resource Type
>    element to identify the genre of a resource.
>
> If I read this correctly, this does not define classes but
> only a controlled vocabulary for values for the "type"
> property in <http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/>. So
> how can we replace earl:Software with this?

As far as my precarious RDF knowledge reach, I think this does define classes (as seen at [http://dublincore.org/2003/12/08/dctype])

<dcterms:DCMIType rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Software">
<rdfs:label xml:lang="en-US">Software</rdfs:label>
<rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/"/>
<rdfs:comment xml:lang="en-US">Software is a computer program in source or
		compiled form which may be available for installation
		non-transiently on another machine. For software which
		exists only to create an interactive environment, use
		interactive instead.</rdfs:comment>
<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
<dcterms:issued>2000-07-11</dcterms:issued>
<dc:type rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/principles/#vocabulary-term"/>
<dcterms:hasVersion rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/history/#Software-001"/>
</dcterms:DCMIType>

They may be used as values for Resource Type, but in fact they are classes that could be used elsewhere.

Regards,
CI.

Carlos Iglesias

CTIC Foundation