Re: DCMI type software

Carlos Iglesias wrote:

> Hello world,
>

>><http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/>:
>>   The DCMI Type Vocabulary provides a general, cross-domain list of
>>   approved terms that may be used as values for the Resource Type
>>   element to identify the genre of a resource.
>>
>>If I read this correctly, this does not define classes but
>>only a controlled vocabulary for values for the "type"
>>property in <http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/>. So
>>how can we replace earl:Software with this?
>

> As far as my precarious RDF knowledge reach, I think this does define classes (as seen at [http://dublincore.org/2003/12/08/dctype])
>
> <dcterms:DCMIType rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/Software">
> <rdfs:label xml:lang="en-US">Software</rdfs:label>
> <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/dcmitype/"/>
> <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en-US">Software is a computer program in source or
> 		compiled form which may be available for installation
> 		non-transiently on another machine. For software which
> 		exists only to create an interactive environment, use
> 		interactive instead.</rdfs:comment>
> <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>

This indicates that it is an RDF class, yes. It is a DCMIType defined by

<dcterms:TypeScheme rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/terms/DCMIType">
   <rdfs:label xml:lang="en-US">DCMI Type Vocabulary</rdfs:label>
   <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en-US">A list of types used to categorize the
     nature or genre of the content of the resource.</rdfs:comment>
   <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class"/>
   <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"/>
   <rdfs:seeAlso
rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/"/>
   <dcterms:issued>2000-07-11</dcterms:issued>
   <dcterms:modified>2002-06-15</dcterms:modified>
   <dc:type
rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/principles/#encoding-scheme"/>
   <dcterms:hasVersion
rdf:resource="http://dublincore.org/usage/terms/history/#DCMIType-002"/>
</dcterms:TypeScheme>

A TypeScheme is defined by

<rdfs:Class rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/terms/TypeScheme">
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="en-US">Resource Type Encoding
Schemes</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en-US">A set of resource type encoding
schemes and/or formats</rdfs:comment>
     <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"/>
     <dcterms:issued>2000-07-11</dcterms:issued>
     <dcterms:references
rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/type"/>
</rdfs:Class>

> They may be used as values for Resource Type,

It's intended to be used as value for Resource Type.

> but in fact they are classes that could be used elsewhere.

And it has not properties we would be interested in, like name, version,
etc. Is this a problem?
--
Johannes Koch - Competence Center BIKA
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT.LIFE)