Re: WCAG formalization (rewriting WCAG HTML techniques as automatable rules)

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:21:15 -0400
To: "Vicente Luque Centeno" <vlc@it.uc3m.es>
Cc: <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

It should be easy to add your XQuery statements to the test suite.

First, download the XML file:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/checks.xml

Modify the file so each test has a new element that contains your XQuery
statement. I suggest the new element be called "xquery".
Note: each test starts with the element "check". Example:

<check>
<xquery><![CDATA[
//img[@alt = @src]
]]></xquery>
</check>

Send the file back to me when you're done and I'll merge the changes into
the most recent version. I'll update the schema to include your new element.

Only the tests that have a status attribute value of "4" (pending) or "5"
(approved) need to be done. The other tests may not be included in the final
test suite so don't bother to work on them yet.

Anyone else that wishes to contribute to the test suite can do the same
thing too.

> I would also be happy if the new WCAG
> could include some other formalized
> rules...

It's been very difficult to get the WAI to agree on which tests are required
for the WCAG2. We're still working on this but should have a good set by the
time the WCAG2 comes out.

Cheers,
Chris