Re: Against (current) test 48 (document's language)

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:16:04 -0400
To: "Vicente Luque Centeno" <vlc@it.uc3m.es>
Cc: <public-wai-ert@w3.org>

Vicente,

> The test does not consider that XHTML Basic 1.0
> documents can't use lang
> attributes (only xml:lang attributes are allowed).

Thanks for pointing that out. The test has passed through many eyes without
anyone noticing that we omitted XHTML Basic 1.0.

It looks like the test should be modified to include another point:

- If the content is XHTML Basic 1.0 then check the content of the html
element's xml:lang attribute.

Otherwise I think the test is valid and should be kept.

Does that look OK to you?

Chris

I don't agree with the current (as written) test 48 at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test48.html (Content has required
lang attribute(s).).

The test does not consider that XHTML Basic 1.0 documents can't use lang
attributes (only xml:lang attributes are allowed).

As a result, the test at
http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/servlet/resolve?file=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.it.uc3m.es%2Fvlc%2Findex.html&group=3.1+meaning&type=known&guide=wcag-2-0-aa.xml&lang=eng
returns a false barrier (xml:lang is enough).

Comments?

Vicente Luque Centeno
Dep. Ingeniería Telemática
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid