Re: W3C Process 2016: Charter extensions and 60 days publication blackouts

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 05:48:03PM +0000, Michael Champion wrote:
> > I still think that mandating explicit "adoption" of all specs when rechartering without
> > a WG (name) change is too complex in this draft of process2016 and introduces
> > unnecessary delays and burden (list all of a WG's specs in the charter!)
>
> The W3C Process tries to strike a balance between not imposing ???unnecessary delays and burden??? on one hand and not leaving ambiguities that could result in royalty requests or patent litigation on the other.  This topic has been very extensively discussed in PSIG and the current proposal is the result. The Process 2016 language mainly tries to align different interpretations of the patent policy with recent practice when rechartering long-running groups, in the hope of tightening up ambiguities that some find worrisome.

Having the process fixing ambiguities in the Patent Policy is very far from ideal. Fixing
the PP FAQ would have been much simpler, so I think it's not just about ambiguities.
About 10 years ago, PSIG and others were advising against closing a WG, in fear of
losing associated commitments. Now the proposal is completely different, dissociating
the specs from the groups, while commitments are made wrt WG lifetime + CfPs.

Concretely, the 60 days without FPWD is not sufficient if we have "Reference Drafts"
that can be published less than 90 days after FPWD, so for consistency, there should be
a second condition forbidding to update a FPWD published less than 90 days before
the start of the review. OR (I prefer that, actually) we use "FPWD" instead of
Reference Draft in the wording. That second option matches the current implementation
(Ref Draft = FPWD, as long as there's no WG change).

> I don???t suppose that the current proposal is the best we can do, but ???le mieux est l'ennemi du bien???.

OK, if it really covers all the scenarios, but I don't think it does with the current
wording. Transitioning could be particularly tricky in some cases (e.g. drafts
published by more than 1 WG that are not scheduled to be rechartered simultaneously,
and that is just 1 example, there are probably other cases). It's always better to
anticipate than discover afterwards that we have not sufficiently tested the new rules.

--
Carine Bournez /// W3C Europe