Re: W3C Process 2016: Charter extensions and 60 days publication blackouts

> I still think that mandating explicit "adoption" of all specs when rechartering without
> a WG (name) change is too complex in this draft of process2016 and introduces
> unnecessary delays and burden (list all of a WG's specs in the charter!)

The W3C Process tries to strike a balance between not imposing “unnecessary delays and burden” on one hand and not leaving ambiguities that could result in royalty requests or patent litigation on the other.  This topic has been very extensively discussed in PSIG and the current proposal is the result. The Process 2016 language mainly tries to align different interpretations of the patent policy with recent practice when rechartering long-running groups, in the hope of tightening up ambiguities that some find worrisome.

I don’t suppose that the current proposal is the best we can do, but “le mieux est l'ennemi du bien”.