RE: CfC: create a public list to announce new publications; deadline Oct 15

Art,

[SZ] I did not object to the proposed announcement list in priniciple, but do have a number of concerns about the content of the Wiki. It says, for example, that " in other versions [of the Process], groups are free to create their own review requirements." I am unaware of any such version. Perhaps most importantly, Process 2014 says the requirement is to show there has been Wide Review (and implicitly) says that announcing review is open is not evidence there has been Wide Review. I do note that in the actual FAQs and suggestions there is appropriate emphasis on getting responses from reviewers and the Process notes that showing responses from an appropriate range of reviewers is a good way to establish evidence of Wide Review.

Secondly, the Wiki makes references to "Last Call" (and LC). Given this has Patent Policy considerations and Process 2014 says that CR is what is meant by Last Call in the Patent Policy, it seems confusing to inject Last Call into the discussion of the announcement mailing list (unless such references are qualified to refer only to versions of the Process prior to Process 2014.

I think the Wiki provides a good basis for using the Announcement List, but I think more needs to be done to set proper expectations for the users of the list. I am happy to work with you, either by making edits to the Wiki or making suggestions to fix the above issues.

Finally, for this list to be useful for the public part of review, there needs to be a plan to socialize the existence of the list (either on the W3C website or elsewhere).

Steve Z