Re: 2014 Process: WD -> CR difficulties

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 10:10:21 -0400
To: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>, "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>
On 10/1/14 9:01 AM, Nigel Megitt wrote:
> Specifically the need to
> demonstrate wide review seemed to be vague, and triggered a "we aren't
> sure what view the Director will take" response from staff, which, while
> true, wasn't ideal for them or us.

Yes I agree the review process isn't particularly clear [and, BTW, some
argue that is a feature] and that related Best Practices / Guideline
material would be helpful. I included such feedback in my questionnaire
about ProcDoc-2014 and AFAIK, [1] is the closest thing but it doesn't
really appear to give WGs any specific guidance.

Virginie agreed to lead a "Spec systematization and consistency" effort
(see [2]) and it seems to me the scope of that effort could include
fleshing out some "wide review BPs and guidelines". If that effort
considers such a doc as out of scope, I would be willing to help create
such a doc (and would welcome your input, as well as others).

> We chose to issue a new WD and put out as big a call for review as
> possible. But there's been quite a bit of debate about how the process
> could assist here.

I think what you did in [3] and [4] were really good and mostly what I
would do as a chair, although I would have made a few minor changes:

* Make it clear in the Subject you seek feedback on a pre-CR version of
the spec and be explicit about the deadline. For example:

   RfC: pre CR version of @Spec; deadline DD MMM

* Make it clear in the text of the e-mail the group considers the spec
is feature complete and that before you publish a CR you are first
seeking comments.

KUTWG!

-AB

[1] <https://www.w3.org/wiki/ProcessTransition2014>