Re: Don't disclose election results

From: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:14:14 +0000
To: "daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
CC: "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>

On Jun 4, 2014, at 5:18 AM, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> On 04/06/2014 13:49, Robin Berjon wrote:
>
>> We *already* have cases of people who are being made to run by their
>> employer
>
> Absolutely. But as I said, that happens mostly because the name
> of the AB contains the word "Board". This is a huge mistake we
> should fix.

There are certainly individuals who are not that interested in the AB in part *because* it's called a 'board'. (I'm one of them, fwiw) In at least a few western countries I know 'board' is a lot like 'golf': though it gets quite a few people very excited, it sounds to a large number of others like something that will *maybe* be fun when they pass the age of 75. Overall, it all might be a rough wash: motivates some, scares others.

And with Jeff suggesting 25% participation is actually high compared to voting on charters - what's the problem there? The word 'charter'? - I'm afraid bikeshedding the name mostly treats a symptom instead of finding the cause.