Re: Ian Jacobs comments [Was: New draft - please review]

On Feb 11, 2014, at 2:42 AM, Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com> wrote:

>> - 7.5: "should not approve a Request for publication of a Proposed
>>   Recommendation less than 35 days after the publication of the
>>   Candidate Recommendation on which is it based [editor's note - this
>>   is to allow for the patent policy exclusion period to expire]"
>>
>>   Please simplify to:
>>
>>   "should not approve a Request for publication of a Proposed
>>   Recommendation sooner than 150 days after the publication of the
>>   First Public Working Draft." That's the duration used in the patent
>>   policy; it will be easier to explain and remember, instead of
>>   introducing a new number "35".
>>

> I think your suggestion would add a time constraint that doesn't need to be there.  We don't need for the exclusion period for FPWD to end before Proposed Rec can begin.  What we need is for Exclusion periods for both the FPWD and last Candidate REC to end before the AC review ends (at least a couple of days before to be able to react to it.

I based the proposal on our current practice not to start a PR review until all exclusion opportunities have ended:
 http://www.w3.org/2003/12/22-pp-faq.html#mult-exclusions

Given that exclusions are rare, your proposed change seems reasonable. Do you think Members will say "Sorry, we don't want to invest in a review until the risk of exclusions is 0" or will they prefer the optimization?

Ian

> In 7.5 it says: "The deadline for Advisory Committee review of the technical report must be at least 28 days after the publication of the Proposed Recommendation."
>
> That could be: "The deadline for Advisory Committee review of the technical report must be at least 28 days after the publication of the Proposed Recommendation and at least 2 days after the completion of all patent policy exclusion periods.  Currently that means at least 152 days after FPWD publication and 62 days after the last CR publication."
>
> So the quickest a REC could be produced would be about 153 days.  (with CR starting before the FPWD exclusion period ended and the 2 exclusion periods overlapping).

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447