Re: What about CGs? re Reminder of Patent Policy for Non-member Contributions

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 09:47:41 -0500
Cc: Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>, public-w3process <public-w3process@w3.org>
To: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>

On Oct 3, 2013, at 9:04 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/13 9:23 AM, ext Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> On Oct 3, 2013, at 8:10 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>>
>> it is by design that CGs do not set expectations for airtight record-keeping, just good enough record keeping.
>
> It seems like what you say above contradicts with this requirement:

>>> [[
>>> <http://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/>
>>>
>>> * the history of Contributions (as defined under the CLA)mustbe
>>>   archived permanently on the W3C Web site.
>>>
>>> ]]

We want to be able to track the source of contributions. We also recognized when we drafted the policy that the cost of tracking word levels to a perfect granularity would be very high. Therefore we are relying on groups archiving their work, and when needed, we will scour it to find the source of contributions.

> Who is responsible for making sure this requirement is met?

The Chair [1]:

 "Each Community Group must have at least one Chair who is responsible for ensuring the group fulfills the requirements of this document as well as the groupís operational agreements."

Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/
Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447