Re: Features vs specs

On Tuesday, 20 March 2012 at 08:15, Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich wrote:

> Hi Dom,
>
> I am glad to chimed in, because you do have a very good grasp of the process.
>
> And I really like your points.
>
> My proposal for experimental specs at the last AC meeting, which I guess in the end led to the establishment of this group, pretty much rests on what you explain to be a feature based focus.
>
> That is exactly what I meant, but you said it better.
> There are always portions of a spec that are stable enough.
>
> I had suggested perhaps simply labeling these "features" as stable such that implementers can move on with a higher degree of certainty that that portion will not change anymore.
> Will there be 100% security of stability?
> Of course not, but that would be unreasonable.
> You expanded that into the review and testing portion, which is absolutely correct.
>
> In that sense, getting to your question to what a feature is, I propose applying that label to any given section of a spec that the WG views as a feature and may declare stable out of their own volition. They would know best and could decide best.

I'll note that the WHATWG HTML spec has had per feature stability labels for a couple of years. Not sure how they determine feature stability, however (i think it's based on implementation reports and on the bug-count in their bug tracker for a given feature).

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au