What are the PD/PP constraints? [Was: Re: Request by AB]

On 2/7/12 5:51 AM, ext Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich wrote:
> As an aside,
>
> The Advisory Board has contacted Marcos and myself, as initiators of this activity here, to contribute a list of problems with W3C Process and potential solutions.
>
> I, for my part, referred to this activity and that we are still in the problem finding phase and have not worked out solutions.
> I would also refrain from making proposals that have not been supported by this group, as I think this is what this group is about.
>

> However, it would be nice to be able to give the AB some material to work with.
Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply on this but having just caught up on most of
the comments on the recent Living Standards thread, I wanted to step
back a bit and try to get some clarification on a couple of questions
that were no doubt discussed a while ago ...

What exactly is in play here i.e. what are the constraints re changing
the PD and PP? Is everything in those docs truly open for change or are
there parts of them that are considered axiomatic and thus deemed sacred
and immutable? If the later, what are they?

I'd like to understand this now (at least generally) so I don't waste my
time working on "solutions" or "proposals", especially if folks from the
AB and/or PSIG are just going to stand up say "wait, wait - we can't do
X/Y/Z because that would change A/B/C and they are immutable!".

Also, an observation I have - and it may be incorrect - is that there is
a considerable amount of work that is ongoing at the W3C where the
overall consensus of the active participants re process is effectively
"if it ain't broke don't fix it" (f.ex. Semantic Web?, WAI?, XML?). If
we assume this is true, is the idea in his CG more about how to change
the processes for some specific WG that may decide to opt-in to a new
proces model? Or is the CG trying to create a new process model for
every WG?

-Cheers, TheOtherAB