Getting the ball rolling on a better W3C process

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:45:19 +0100
To: public-w3process@w3.org, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Hi,

Thanks to Kai for summarizing the session at TPAC on the blog:
http://www.w3.org/community/w3process/2011/11/15/results-from-tpac-2011-session-on-revisiting-how-w3c-creates-standards/

(and thanks to Steve for starting the first thread on the list :)

There was a lot of positive energy at the break out session on making
the W3C process better adapted to the way groups actually develop
standards, and I would personally want to ensure that we don't lose that
energy by having this group dormant.

Charles, you've nominated yourself as a chair, so I'm hoping you'll put
some energy in organizing the discussions here; since you're also an
Advisory Board Member, I think your participation will be extremely
useful here.

I wonder if anyone else would be interested to volunteer as a co-chair,
to put more energy behind driving this work forward. (I am not, FWIW)

I think our first goal should be to refine what topics we want to work
on, what outcome we expect from the group; I think it's fairly clear
that the Advisory Board would be the ultimate recipient of our input,
but whether that input is a list of issues, and/or a list of solutions
is not yet entirely clear to me (at least).

We should also try to identify which issues need fixing (because they
prevent groups to work adequately) vs would-be-nice-to-fix (to better
reflect how groups currently work); another axis of analysis should be
which can be fixed quickly (for some definition of quickly) and which
are longer-terms changes.

Dom