Weekly digest of W3C news and trends

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:43:04 +0100
To: public-w3c-digest@w3.org

This is the 23-30 November 2012 edition of a “weekly digest of W3C news
and trends" that the W3C Communications Team prepares for the W3C
Membership and public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived [1])
[sent separately]. This digest aggregates information about W3C from
online media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is apprehended in online

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3c-digest/

Notably this week:

- 1600 stories about W3C on Twitter in 7 days.
- 3000 mentions of W3C in 7 days with peaks on 27 and 28 November (550 +
700 mentions) that match 1) objection to Microdata CR, and 2) appointment
of Peter Swire as co-chair of the Tracking Protection WG.
- reached 50K Twitter followers threshold.
- net increase of 436 Twitter followers in 7 days.
- 8 posts that dlvr.it posted to StatusNet, Twitter and Facebook between
Nov 19-26 got 32K clicks (+28%), delivered to 57.7K connections.

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URIs or tweet was

* (31) Adrian Roselli: New Main Element Approved, then Blocked

* Peter Swire appointed co-Chair of Tracking Protection WG:
(61) Webmonkey: New W3C Co-Chair Steps Into the 'Do Not Track' Fray
(125) CNET: Privacy prof to try to break Do Not Track logjam
(55) Digits: Professor to Try to Salvage Troubled “Do Not Track” Deal
(3) Aleecia’s e-mail: Moving forward

* W3Conf 2013 announced: 21-22 February 2013, SFO.

* (43) IEBlog: W3C Web Performance: Continuing Performance Investments

* (25) Finding your WAI to New Web Accessibility Resources
Note: Not a new document, this page was last updated in Nov. 2011, but
received attention this week.

* (60) Manu Sporny’s Blog: Objection to Microdata Candidate Recommendation

W3C in the Press (or some blogs)

Of the 21 articles that I added to our Press Clippings page, the
highlights are:
  * DNT / Peter Swire  (11 articles)
  * Firefox 18 Beta (4 articles)

Below is a selection of articles.

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords and the full list of articles on our Press clippings page:
  http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    W3C Web Performance: Continuing Performance Investments
    IEBlog (28 November)

    BII REPORT: How Hybrid Apps Are Accelerating HTML5 Adoption
    Business Insider (28 November)

    Firefox 18 Beta Adds Retina Support For Mac And Speed Improvements
    Business Insider (28 November)

    Should Microdata Become a W3C Standard?
    semanticweb.com (28 November)

    New W3C Co-Chair Steps Into the ‘Do Not Track’ Fray
    Webmonkey | Wired.com (28 November)

    Privacy professor to try to break Do Not Track logjam
    CNET (27 November)

    Firefox Beta Now Features New IonMonkey JavaScript Compiler, Built-In
PDF Viewer, Retina and Touch Support
    TechCrunch (26 November)

    Unlike Facebook, Famo.us thinks HTML5 rocks. Here is why.
    Gigaom (25 November)

    Why HTML5 provided more tricks than treats in 2012
    VentureBeat (24 November)

    UKtech50 2012 - The most influential people in UK IT
    Computer Weekly (22 November)

   Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
      W3C/ERCIM - B219 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/