Weekly digest of W3C news and trends

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:13:17 +0100
To: public-w3c-digest@w3.org

This is the 30 November - 7 December 2012 edition of a “weekly digest of
W3C news and trends" that the W3C Communications Team prepares for the W3C
Membership and public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived [1])
[sent separately]. This digest aggregates information about W3C from
online media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is apprehended in online

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3c-digest/

Notably this week:

- 1400 stories about W3C on Twitter in 7 days.
- 2300 mentions of W3C in 7 days with a peak yesterday (400+ mentions)
that match 1) Marcos Cáceres’ blog post about why he’s running for the TAG
election, 2) a short blog post reminder by Daniel Glazman of the 10
December deadline to submit a position paper for the W3C Workshop on
Electronic Books and the Open Web Platform.
- net increase of 400 Twitter followers in 7 days, now 50533 followers.
- 23 posts that dlvr.it posted to StatusNet, Twitter and Facebook between
Nov 27 - Dec 04 got 30.6K clicks (+29%), delivered to 58.2K connections

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URIs or tweet was

* (10) Marcos Cáceres Blog: W3C TAG elections

* (21 —4 yesterday) Alex Russell Blog: Election Season [Note: Post dated

* (10) Daniel Glazman Blog: W3C Workshop on Electronic Books and the Open
Web Platform

* (14) Statements about W3C TAG nominees for 2012 Election

* (1091) BBC Technology: “Berners-Lee warns of net threat”

* (7) Manu Sporny’s “Microdata CR Objection Rationale Statement”

* (16) Henri Sivonen: [whatwg] A plea to Hixie to adopt <main>

W3C in the Press (or some blogs)

Of the 21 articles that I added to our Press Clippings page, the
highlights are:
  * Internet neutrality
  * European Commission / public Website accessibility
  * DNT / Peter Swire
  * Firefox 18 Beta

Below is a selection of articles.

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords and the full list of articles on our Press clippings page:
  http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    The UN asks for control over the world’s Internet
    RT (6 December)

    Ex-White House Official Aims to Get 'Do Not Track' Back on Track
    NationalJournal (6 December)

    Sir Tim Berners-Lee: 'The UN Should Not Run The Internet'
    Huff Post Tech (5 December)

    Tim Berners-Lee ouvre les portes de l’Open Data Institute (Tim
Berners-Lee opens the doors of the Open Data Institute)
    Silicon.fr (4 December)

    Sir Tim Berners-Lee flags UN net conference concerns
    BBC News Technology (4 December)

    European Commission Wants Single Set Of Website Accessibility Rules To
Apply To Government Sites By 2015
    TechCrunch (3 December)

    Bandwidth Savvy Apps With New W3C API
    I Programmer (3 December)

    The W3C web accessibility initiative: 2012 in review
    Access iQ (1 December)

    'Father of the internet': Why we must fight for its freedom
    CNN (30 November)

    Do Not Track Negotiations In Danger Of Breaking Down
    WebProNews (30 November)

    Firefox 18 looks very promising: IonMonkey compiler, PDF reader, WebRTC
    GNT (US) (27 November)

   Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
      W3C/ERCIM - B219 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/