Weekly digest of W3C news and trends

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:39:49 +0100
To: public-w3c-digest@w3.org

This is the 16-23 November 2012 edition of a “weekly digest of W3C news
and trends" that the W3C Communications Team prepares for the W3C
Membership and public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived [1])
[sent separately]. This digest aggregates information about W3C from
online media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is apprehended in online

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3c-digest/

It was a quiet week both in terms of Press coverage and social media

Notably this week:

- 1500 stories about W3C on Twitter in 7 days.
- 2200 mentions of W3C in 7 days.
- net increase of 420 Twitter followers in 7 days.
- 13 posts that dlvr.it posted to StatusNet, Twitter and Facebook between
Nov 13-20 got 29K clicks, delivered to 57K connections.

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URIs or tweet was

* Augmented Reality CG proposed new charter

* (28) Burst of promotion for eGovernment at W3C

* (27) Promotion of a December 2011 Paciello Group Blog: How YOU can join
the W3C HTML5 Working Group in 4 easy steps

W3C in the Press (or some blogs)

Of the 7 articles that I added to our Press Clippings page, the highlight
  * Microsoft begs Web devs not to make WebKit the new IE6

Below is a selection of articles.

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords and the full list of articles on our Press clippings page:
  http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    Highlights from the W3C web performance workshop
    Pingdom (21 November)

    Safari and Chrome aren’t the new IE6 — chill out!
    ExtremeTech (20 November)

    Microsoft begs Web devs not to make WebKit the new IE6
    Ars Technica (17 November)

    European Commission shows concern over the slow development of the
Do-Not-Track standard
    Lexology (14 November)

    Microsoft Brings Internet Explorer 10 Preview To Windows 7 PCs
    TechCrunch (13 November)

    W3C Charters Pointer Events Working Group
    IEBlog (13 November)

   Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
      W3C/ERCIM - B219 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/