From:  "McBennett, Pat" <McBennettP@DNB.com>
Date:  Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM
To:  "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: Proposal for Schema.org extension mechanism

I totally agree with Martin Heppıs comments. Iıve recently begun exactly the
process Martin describes (i.e. defining ŒWeb ontologies / shared scheması),
and already Iım finding all 3 of his points are spot-on.

But Iıd like to ask Martin ­ what form of mechanism does he think could work
for ŒŠtapping into the potential of the many, many interesting schemas and
standards out there [Š] without the need to channel those through the social
and technical process of getting into schema.org coreı?

As a very simple example ­ Iım currently trying to find an existing RDF
schema or standard for International Country Codes, but one which is
Œauthoritativeı. ISO was an obvious place to start, so I asked them if they
could provide these codes as RDF (I can that they currently provide them as
CSV, XML or XLS [1]). Their response:

Dear Pat,

We do not product any RDF formats, I am sorry.

Regards

So that means although there are ISO country codes in the public domain
(e.g. IRL, or FRA, or USA), and of course I can use those codes freely,
there are no Œofficialı URIıs out there for those codes (that Iım aware of)
­ i.e. there is no Œhttp://www.iso.org/country/alpha-3/IRLı for Ireland. So
unless I can presuade the ISO to mint these URIıs for Œtheirı country codes
(which I would see as ideal, since they are a recognised authority, but it
seems unlikely in the sort term), what mechanism do I have to use
standardised, authoritative (i.e. as opposed to crowdsourced Wikipedia (or
DBPedia) URI identifiers for countries in my internal datasets? I could mint
my own URIıs for these country codes under my companies domain name, but
thatıs hardly appropriate as weıve no interest in being an authority on
country code identifiers (and weıd have the maintanance overhead of trying
to keep them in-sync with the Œrealı ISO codes)Š

Which is why I would have thought an extension to Schema.org might offer a
good opportunity for this (since Schema.org has already become the de facto
authority for lots of things!). But am I just being naïve somehowŠ?

Regards,

Pat.

[1] - http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes.htm

Pat McBennett
Architect
The Chase Building, 5th Floor
Carmanhall Road, Sandyford,
Dublin 18, Ireland
Direct +353 1
Mobile +353 8

http://www.dnb.co.uk/ <http://www.dnb.co.uk/>

 <http://www.facebook.com/DunBradstreet>  <http://twitter.com/dnbus>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/dun-&-bradstreet>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/DunandBrad>

(the "Message") is intended for one or more specific individuals or
entities, and may be confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient (or you are not
authorised to receive for the recipient), please notify the sender
immediately, delete this Message and do not disclose, distribute, or copy it
to any third party or otherwise use this Message. Electronic messages are
not secure or error free and can contain viruses or may be delayed and the
sender is not liable for any of these occurrences. The sender reserves the
right to monitor, record, transfer cross border and retain electronic
messages.
"D&B" is a trading style of D&B Business Information Solutions is registered
in Ireland. www.dnb.co.uk <www.dnb.co.uk>