Re: Proposal: schema.org/MobileVideoGame

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 05:23:39PM -0800, Jerome Mourits wrote:
>But isn't it more useful to be able to limit searches to your specific
>platform rather than mobile in general?  If we had the site search that you
>described, I'd still end up having to refine my search to find to the games
>that are available for blackberry.
>
>Nintendo 3ds has an appstore: http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/eshop
>Consoles also tend to have their own flavor of shop (Playstation network,
>xbox live arcade)
>
>PS Vita runs on 3G on AT&T: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/att/

I have to agree. I don't care if a game is "mobile"; I care if it runs
on one of my devices. Populating gamePlatform is going to be required to
make the page meaningful in any context whether we stick with the broad
VideoGame or mint a new MobileVideoGame type.

As for the Google Custom Search Engine use case, you can use the
schema.org type as the first level of search, but then filter those
results by structured data attributes (such as gamePlatform).

The alternative to using a structured data attribute in Google CSE to
limit to the actual platform of interest would be to spawn a bunch of
types like AndroidVideoGame, iOSVideoGame, FirefoxOSVideoGame,
NintendoDSVideoGame, etc, and I don't think anyone wants that.

So, -1 to MobileVideoGame (unless, of course, I'm overlooking something
obvious).