Re: The perils and delights of multiple type entities for schema.org (was Re: Proposal: schema.org/MobileVideoGame)

> "and the example posted by Jarno van Driel a year ago" & "Search engines
> do not provide visible support for MTEs."

I created a wiki page about this topic not long after my post Aaron
referred to, which I now also updated with an JSON-LD example:
https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/MultipleTypesSDO

> [...]
> want to - and quoting Martin again here - define "dozens of subtypes or
> additional siblings for existing types."  But it seems to me to be a
> reasonable trade off to create a sub-type when the entity class is question
> is widely represented on the web, and it is of no small significance in
> these cases whether or not a data consumer can accurately understand the
> data being provided - and I think mobile video games fall into that
> category.
>
> [1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Jan/0064.html
> [2] https://schema.org/docs/faq.html#0
> [3] http://moz.com/blog/semantic-analytics
> [4]
> http://apassant.net/2014/04/24/export-and-structure-your-musical-activity-with-schema-org/
> [5] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Oct/0173.html
> [6] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Jun/0052.html
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Vicki Tardif Holland <vtardif@google.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity, what limitations do you see in having to use multiple
>> types?
>>
>> - Vicki
>>
>> Vicki Tardif Holland | Ontologist | vtardif@google.com
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Aaron Bradley <aaranged@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> schema.org v1.92 introduced the new type VideoGame, a more specific
>>> type of both (the also-introduced) Game, and of SoftwareApplication.
>>>
>>> VideoGame is a great addition, but as mobile video games stand poised to
>>> overtake console-based games in popularity [1], there is no way
>>> differentiate between a traditional video game and this important variant.
>>>
>>> Freebase [2], Wikipedia [3] and Wikidata [4] all have entries for
>>> "mobile game", and the Google distinguishes between "Video game" [5] and
>>> "Mobile game" [6] in Knowledge Graph results generated on the basis of a
>>> video game title search.
>>>
>>> Perhaps most tellingly, schema.org itself gives a nod to the importance
>>> of mobile video games by providing a a markup example on the
>>> schema.org/VideoGame page.  And in my opinion the way in which this
>>> example is necessarily formulated demonstrates the utility of a
>>> MobileVideoGame type:
>>>
>>> <script type="application/ld+json">
>>> {
>>>   "@context": "http://schema.org",
>>>   "@type": ["VideoGame","MobileApplication"],
>>>   "gamePlatform":"iOS",
>>>   [...]
>>> }</script>
>>>
>>> Only by means of this multi-type entity declaration is a data consumer
>>> able to determine that a given video game is a mobile video game, and then
>>> only by inference - for those data consumers that are able to correctly
>>> process multi-type entities properly.
>>>
>>> In light of all of this, I propose MobileVideoGame, a more specific type
>>> of both VideoGame and MobileApplication.  No additional properties would be

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=simpsons%20tapped%20out&pws=0&hl=en&num=10
>>> [7]