Re: Schema.org proposal: New Actions and Actions contigent on an Offer

From: <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:20:04 +0200
Cc: (wrong string) ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
To: Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com>, Vicki Tardif Holland <vtardif@google.com>
On 19 Sep 2014, at 00:10, Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com> wrote:

> is 'notAvailableAtOrFrom' really needed, wouldn't the following work as well?

I think it is needed. But I noticed that there is a big mistake: The proper property is

    http://schema.org/eligibleRegion

not

   http://schema.org/availableAtOrFrom

eligibleRegion defines the region(s) for which the offer is valid.

availableAtOrFrom defines the place from which you can get the (typically physical) product or service. It is meant to link from an offer to the points of sale, e.g. rental stations or other local businesses.

When in doubt, it makes sense to look up the more comprehensive textual definitions on the GoodRelations site. I will link them better to the schema.org elements in the future.

http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/goodrelations/v1.html#eligibleRegions

http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/goodrelations/v1.html#availableAtOrFrom

So the new property must be

schema:ineligibleRegion

This is important.

> Not Available in China
>
> {
> "@context": "http://schema.org",
> "@type": "WatchAction",
> "target": "http://www.hulu.com/the­daily­show­with­jon­stewart",
> "contingentOnOffer": {
> 	"@type": "Offer",
> 	"availability": "http://schema.org/False",
> 	"availableAtOrFrom": {
> 		"@type": "Country",
> 		"name": "CHN"
> 	}
> }

This will IMO not work without invalidating the existing definition of schema:availability. An old client will infer from this tthat the object is not available.

Martin