RE: Better description for 'keywords' property

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:00 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 02:17:12PM +0100, Dan Brickley wrote:
> >On 17 May 2014 06:31, Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> From previous conversations on this list, it looks like
> >> http://schema.org/keywords is meant to hold a list of comma-separated
> >> keywords, like the RDFa on this page:
> >> http://arc.lib.montana.edu/msu-photos/item/286:

> >> If this is correct, the description for this property, which currently
reads
> >> "The keywords/tags used to describe this content", could be a bit more
> >> detailled. I suggest:
> >>
> >> A comma-separated list of keywords/tags used to describe this content.
> >
> >This sounds reasonable to me. The only objections I can think of
> >involve trying to stretch this property too far, e.g. phrases that
> >contain commas within them. Let's keep it simple...
> >
> >Does anyone here think that this change would not be an improvement?

I was just wondering why there doesn't exist a singular version of
"keywords", i.e., "keyword". Was that somehow forgotten when all plurals
were deprecated or was this a deliberate decision?

I think this matters because...

> there are currently hundreds and, as sites upgrade, will be thousands
> of library Web sites that express "keywords" like:
>
> * keywords: Linux.
> * keywords: Internet programming.
> * keywords: Web sites > Design.
> * keywords: Electronic mail systems > Security measures.
>
> This is because we augment the existing display of subject headings like
> so:

could also be expressed as

systems</a></span> &gt;
measures</a></span>.

which would have the advantage that the keywords are already tokenized by
the publisher instead of forcing the consumer to do so... which would, btw.,
also address Stéphane's concern below

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler