Re: Vehicles, and customizable products

Hi Francois,

> I am curious to know how you would do that. VSO recommends to make statements such as:
> foo:myCar vso:fuelType dbpedia:Diesel.
>
> How can you adapt that to handle configurations? For configurations, you have to be able to state, for instance, that the fuelType may be diesel or gasoline, but not electric. I don't see how you can do that using the vso:fuelType property

you simply define three gr:ProductOrServiceModel instances:

foo:BaseConfig a vso:Automobile, gr:ProductOrServiceModel.

foo:DieselConfig a vso:Automobile, gr:ProductOrServiceModel ;
		 vso:fuelType <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Diesel>.

foo:GasolineConfig a vso:Automobile, gr:ProductOrServiceModel ;
		 vso:fuelType <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Gasoline>.

The you statet that foo:DieselConfig and foo:GasolineConfig are  gr:isVariantOf foo:BaseConfig.

foo:BaseConfig gr:isVariantOf foo:BaseConfig .
foo:DieselConfig gr:isVariantOf foo:BaseConfig .

By virtue of that, a data consumer knows that there

- there is a base model without fuel type information and
- there are two variants (specializations) thereof, one with Gasoline, one with Diesel as a fuel type.

It does not explicitly tell you that there CANNOT be a variant with electric fuel, but since negation is a complex topic at Web scale, this is not really a shortcoming, as far as I can see.

And actually, you can model that in schema.org already as of now, if you use vso:Automobile or pto:Automobile with the additionalType property:

	<link itemprop="additionalType" href="http://purl.org/vso/ns#Automobile" />

	<link itemprop="http://purl.org/vso/ns#fuelType" href="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Diesel" />

	<link itemprop="http://purl.org/vso/ns#fuelType" href="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Gasoline" />

The Google Structured Data Testing Tool will warn that it does not know the property <http://purl.org/vso/ns#fuelType>,

Error: Page contains property "http://purl.org/vso/ns#fueltype" which is not part of the schema.

but that is just cosmetics, since the tool could and should be configured to accept external properties as long as they use a full URI (or at least give a warning instead of an error).

So with adding VSO to schema.org, you could model at least basic variant information with schema.org. And it would be a minor task to implement that.

This does not reduce the potential of your more ambitious work in defining a full ontology for car specifications, but it would already get us far quickly, and that with a pattern that is the same for many vertical industries.

By the way: One small thing that I do not like about your proposal is that you say that a configuration is both a gr:MakeAndModel and a gr:Offering. Those are  two distinct entities, even if they often appear as a pair.

Martin

On Jul 27, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Francois-Paul Servant wrote:

> Hi Martin, and all
>
> Le 26 juil. 2013 à 10:04, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>> for the automotive segment, I strongly recommend integrating
>>
>> 	http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/vso/ns
>>
>> into schema.org.
>>
>> It is a GoodRelations extension for all kinds of vehicles and will thus nicely fit to the already existing GoodRelations elements in schema.org.
>>
>> Exposing configuration information can basically be done in two ways:
>>
>> 1. Exposing the *rules* for compatibility of components; that is what Volkswagen does with their COO ontology,
>>
>>   http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/vocabularies/coo/ns.html
>>
>> 2. Exposing (a subset of) actually buildable cars or partly configured cars; this is what can be done with basic schema.org/GoodRelations/VSO elements, plus maybe the conceptual modeling work done at Renault.
>>
>> For Web markup, I recommend the second route, but it will not require more than just translating the VSO ontology into a schema.org extension proposal, and I will tackle that as soon as my resources permit.
>
> I am curious to know how you would do that. VSO recommends to make statements such as:
> foo:myCar vso:fuelType dbpedia:Diesel.
>
> How can you adapt that to handle configurations? For configurations, you have to be able to state, for instance, that the fuelType may be diesel or gasoline, but not electric. I don't see how you can do that using the vso:fuelType property
>
> Best,
>
> fps

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group