Re: Problems with schema:openingHours as owl:objectProperty

On Jan 18, 2013, at 9:47 AM, Adrian Pohl wrote:

> We would love to use schema:openingHoursSpecification. But as I said
> in the original mail, our base data doesn't come structured in a
> standard way (opening hours just take one field in the underlying
> input form and people varies accordingly), so it would be really hard
> to convert it to a schema:OpeningHoursSpecification.
>
> Cheers
Dear Adrian:
Then simply attach the unstructured info using schema:description to the http://schema.org/OpeningHoursSpecification entity:

       itemtype="http://schema.org/OpeningHoursSpecification">

This GoodRelations design principle is called "Dynamic Data Granularity"; will blog about it shortly.

Martin

On Jan 18, 2013, at 9:47 AM, Adrian Pohl wrote:

> We would love to use schema:openingHoursSpecification. But as I said
> in the original mail, our base data doesn't come structured in a
> standard way (opening hours just take one field in the underlying
> input form and people varies accordingly), so it would be really hard
> to convert it to a schema:OpeningHoursSpecification.
>
> Cheers
> Adrian
>
> On 17 January 2013 16:15, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
>> Hi:
>>   Is using the new, more granular opening hours pattern via
>>
>>> schema:openingHoursSpecification
>>
>> an option for you? It should offer all that you need.
>>
>> And while the schema.org sponsors will have to make an official statement on that, I would say that the OWL spec of schema.org is a rather sketchy thing ;-)
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> On Jan 17, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Adrian Pohl wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> first I'll explain the background for my question:
>>>
>>> - We are running a service with URIs for and RDF descriptions of
>>> libraries and related institutions [1] and want to add human-readable
>>> opening hours information from the source data. This opening hour
>>> information isn't structured homogenously so that we can't transform
>>> it to a standard syntax like ISO 8601. Thus, we want to use a RDF
>>> property that takes plain literals in object position.
>>>
>>> Example: <http://lobid.org/organisation/DE-380> ex:hasOpeningHours "Di
>>> und Do 10.00-20.00, Mi und Fr 10.00-18.00, Sa 10.00-15.00" .
>>>
>>> I thought that schema:openingHours might be good for this as it
>>> doesn't require a structured Opening Hours Specification like the
>>> property schema:openingHoursSpecification does. But I got quite
>>> confused by the definition of schema:openingHours in the schema.org
>>> OWL2 ontology [2] which reads:
>>>
>>> :openingHours
>>>   a owl:ObjectProperty ;
>>>   rdfs:comment "The opening hours for a business. Opening hours can
>>> be specified as a weekly time range, starting with days, then times
>>> per day. Multiple days can be listed with commas ',' separating each
>>> day. Day or time ranges are specified using a hyphen '-'.<br />- Days
>>> are specified using the following two-letter combinations:
>>> specified using 24:00 time. For example, 3pm is specified as
>>> itemprop=&quot;openingHours&quot; datetime=&quot;Tu,Th
>>> 16:00-20:00&quot;&gt;Tuesdays and Thursdays