RE: new itemscope or not?

If I was Godz, I would NOT assume they are the same thing. I would use
schema:url thusly for those decreasingly rare situations where somebody
(especially a remote observer) wants to describe something that is
honest-to-godz located on the Web. For example:

@prefix observer: <http://example.org/observer/> .

observer:12345 a <http://purl.org/library/Thesis>;
	schema:name "Architectural Styles and the Design of
Network-based Software Architectures";
	schema:author <http://viaf.org/viaf/26681119>;
	schema:url
<http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm>.

As a matter of principle, Roy's (HTML) thesis COULD be upgraded to be
self-describing with some hidden markup (either RDFa 1.1 or Microdata)
and a trivial Apache rewrite (303 redirect) upgrade to www.ics.ici.edu
to replace the observer URI.

OTOH, if somebody decides that schema:url should be treated the same as
"itemid" (Microdata), "resource" (RDFa Lite 1.1), "rdf:about" (RDF/XML),
etc. then schema:url is a wasted opportunity and we (i.e. the pedantic
observers of reality) would need to find a new vocabulary term fill this
void.

Jeff