Re: new itemscope or not?

The schema.org specification seems to support Jeff's interpretation of
the property "url" as "the WWW-address where an electronic copy of the
thing that s described can be downloaded". From
http://www.schema.org/Thing:

Property: url
Expected Type: URL

Only something that can be downloaded (an information resource) can have
a URL. So schema.org's property "url" should only be available for
"CreativeWork", not for "Thing" as it is right now. A person for example
can't have a url. A person can have a website (which is an information
resource) and this website has an url. But then I cannot find any
property like "website" or "homepage" for any of schema.org's classes.
Combined with the fact that "url" is avalable for class "Thing" (i.e.
for everything) I suppose that "url" is in fact used ambiguosly:

A book can have a url where you can download the book's text.
A person can have a url where you find information about this person.

Or in other words: "url" means something rather general: "There is a web
document related to the resource that can be retrieved at this url."
Essentially its just a "see also" to a document on the web.

Cord

--
Cord Wiljes
Semantic Computing Group