Re: Schema.org property cardinality and use of plural (WAS Re: SoftwareApplication proposal for schema.org)

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:04:54 +0100
To: Lin Clark <lin.w.clark@gmail.com>
Cc: Adrian Giurca <giurca@tu-cottbus.de>, "public-vocabs@w3.org" <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On 24 February 2012 16:33, Lin Clark <lin.w.clark@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at this brought up a previous question. I see that properties such
> as operatingSystems are given plural names. However, it could look confusing
> in microdata.
>
> For example:

> <ul>
>   <li itemprop="operatingSystems">OSX 10.6</li>
>   <li itemprop="operatingSystems">Windows 7</li>
> </ul>
>
> This was previously brought up in Issue 5, and I pointed out the kinds of
> confusion using the plural in that way might cause for content authors. Has
> there been any further discussion?

There has been a bit of discussion, but nothing conclusive.

What do others here think? Is schema.org's use of plural properties
problematic enough that people want a change?

I don't have a complete list but for example

* http://schema.org/CreativeWork has 'reviews' pointing to a 'Review
-- Review of the item.'
* or 'encodings' -> 'The media objects that encode this creative
work'. (It also has 'offers' and 'mentions' but those have a
non-plural reading)
* http://schema.org/Movie has 'actors', which takes (Person) 'A cast
member of the movie, TV series, season, or episode, or video.'
* and also 'director' (Person), 'The director of the movie, TV
episode, or series.'.

Anyone care to make a complete list of these?