Re: A few general questions about CreativeWork

On 23 February 2012 15:13, B McGlamery <bmcglamery@gmail.com> wrote:

> Newbie to schema.org here, so pardon the post if any of these questions are
> more than obvious.  Any guidance would be appreciated.
>

> About vs Description:  Does “About” in “CreativeWork” connote broad keywords
> or concepts about the content?  Or is it more of a short description?  For
> example: a recipe might be “food and cooking” or is it more specific like
> “cooking with saffron”

My understanding is that the value of the 'about' property is another
entity, ie. another 'Thing', rather than textual keywords or a
description.

So for example a CreativeWork that is a travel guide to Paris, would
be 'about' the thing, the place, Paris. We are currently working on
guidelines for how to identify countries and places using existing
listings. The property 'mentions' works similarly to this, it
"Indicates that the CreativeWork contains a reference to, but is not
necessarily about a concept.". The properties 'description' and
'keywords', by contrast, take textual values.

Where the work is a recipe, you might use "cooking with saffron" as a
description, and "food, cooking" as keywords. There aren't rigid
standards, because often the content already exists instead of being
created to fit our definitions.

> Headline vs Name: Do you use both?  Is the general idea that you use the
> Thing properties all the time and then use the other schemas (like
> CreativeWork) when applicable?  Or once you use a more specific schema then
> the more general one (Thing) is implied? I see in the documentation it says
> “More specific types share properties with broader types. “  Not sure if
> that applies to this one

I'd go with the more general properties first. There are some
overlaps. If the same piece of text is definitely a 'headline' and you
think it is also worth of 'name', you could always use both. This is
allowed in Microdata syntax using a space separated list -
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/microdata.html#names:-the-itemprop-attribute
- and also in RDFa.

> Image vs Thumbnail URL: Image is a property for Thing, Thumbnail URL for
> CreativeWork.  Are they one in the same, or could they be?  Basically a
> similar question to the previous one.

And a similar answer to the previous one, I guess :) We can't impose a
rigid global standard for what counts as a thumbnail image versus a
'full' image. But conventionally sites often have large-ish and
small-ish images. There is nothing stopping the same image URL being
used for both, but we would expect thumbnails to be relatively small.

Specific consumers of schema.org markup (e.g. Google's Rich Snippets)
may bring a more specific interpretation to bear on these questions.
So it may help to check e.g. in the snippets tool to see how changes
to image markup are treated in practice.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Dan