Re: Richer information in the microdata than in the visible content in the HTML page: what is the good practice ?

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answers and for their rationales.

Jean

2012/2/14 Aaron Bradley <aaranged@yahoo.com>

> Google, in it's rich snippets article on microdata [1], has this to say:
>
> "In general, Google won't display content that is not visible to the
> user. In other words, don't show content to users in one way, and use
> hidden text to mark up information separately for search engines and web
> applications. You should mark up the text that actually appears to your
> users when they visit your web pages."
> "There are a few exceptions to this guideline. In some situations it
> can be valuable to provide search engines with more detailed
> information, even if you don't want that information to be seen by
> visitors to your page."
>
> The examples of "exceptions" Google lists are markup for ratings and the
> duration of an event - not too dissimilar to the sort of thing you have in
> your code.
>
> The schema.org example [2] for UserInteraction shows interactionCount
> only in the code, though the counts are also visible in plain text
> (somewhat disingenuously, in my opinion).
>
> In the absence of Google sanctioning specific non-visible markup (the sort
> of thing they're always loathe to do, I think largely so users that
> subsequently try to game such things can't claim they had "permission" to
> do) I think common sense must prevail.  Numeric values that may be useful
> to search engines but not necessarily to users seem reasonable.  And I
> can't imagine a scenario where Google is going to dampen rankings or
> de-index a resource where there's valid, honest but non-visible metadata
> markup - the worst that is likely to happen is that Google simply ignores
> the markup (but it still might be useful to you - for example, in a Google
> CSE implementation).  I think your interaction events fall into this
> category.
>
> Cheers, Aaron
>

> [1]
> http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=176035&topic=1088472&ctx=topic
> [2] http://schema.org/UserInteraction

Directeur Associé, *KnowledgeConsult  *http://knowledgeconsult.com
jean.delahousse@knowledgeconsult.com  +33 (0)6-01-22-48-55 skype:
jean.delahousse  * *twitter.com/jdelahousse