Re: Proposal for an additional term: mediaType

From: Thomas Baker <tom@tombaker.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:07:31 -0400
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Cc: Public Vocabs <public-vocabs@w3.org>, "Suliman, Suraiya H" <suraiya.h.suliman@lmco.com>, Greg Grossmeier <greg@creativecommons.org>, Stuart Sutton <sasutton@dublincore.net>
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:37:34AM +0200, Dan Brickley wrote:
> A fairly short list of DCMI Types seems to be at
> http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/#H6 (scroll down
> a bit...) or see also
> http://dublincore.org/documents/2000/07/11/dcmi-type-vocabulary/
>
> I didn't find a list yet corresponding to the granularity of Greg's
> request, but maybe I missed it. Tom, Stuart ... any pointers?
>
> >From Greg's mail...
>
>  - Audio CD
>  - Audiotape
>  - Calculator
>  - CD-I
>  - CD-ROM
>  - Diskette
>  - Duplication Master
>  - DVD/ Blu-ray
>  - etc

There's a list of RDA Carrier Types -- part of the RDA standard developed by
key national libraries for use in library cataloging.  See [1] and some
historical background at [2].  It is a pretty extensive, maintained list,
developed over decades, though it may not be up-to-the-minute with Blu-Ray and
the like.  Maybe there's a way the two efforts could complement each other?

The person to ask about this is Gordon Dunsire <gordon@gordondunsire.com>.

Tom

[1] http://metadataregistry.org/concept/list/vocabulary_id/46.html
[2] http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january07/dunsire/01dunsire.html