Re: Proposal for an additional term: mediaType

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:37:34 +0200
To: Public Vocabs <public-vocabs@w3.org>, "Suliman, Suraiya H" <suraiya.h.suliman@lmco.com>, Greg Grossmeier <greg@creativecommons.org>
Cc: Thomas Baker <tom@tombaker.org>, Stuart Sutton <sasutton@dublincore.net>
Thanks all. Yes, FRBR is quite another level of complexity, although
it is driven by the same concerns Richard mentioned - the concern to
distinguish works in the abstract from the particularities of their
various practical forms. And to be able to describe useful properties
of both without getting into a muddle.

These are not new distinctions and as Martin and Ivan point out, we
should take care not to re-use existing phrases (like 'media type') in
unfamiliar ways. Or for that matter to arbitrarily introduce new
wording for existing concepts; or if we do, at least we should
document the relationships.

Dublin Core makes some related distinctions. Compare ...

"The file format, physical medium, or dimensions of the resource."
"Examples of dimensions include size and duration. Recommended best
practice is to use a controlled vocabulary such as the list of
Internet Media Types [MIME]."

"The nature or genre of the resource."
"Recommended best practice is to use a controlled vocabulary such as
the DCMI Type Vocabulary [DCMITYPE]. To describe the file format,
physical medium, or dimensions of the resource, use the Format

A fairly short list of DCMI Types seems to be at
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/#H6 (scroll down
a bit...) or see also

I didn't find a list yet corresponding to the granularity of Greg's
request, but maybe I missed it. Tom, Stuart ... any pointers?

>From Greg's mail...

 - Audio CD
 - Audiotape
 - Calculator
 - CD-I
 - Diskette
 - Duplication Master
 - DVD/ Blu-ray
 - etc

These seem closer to 'dc:format' to me, but also seem to emphasise
supporting physical hardware - rather than types of media. I find it
hard to think of 'Calculator' as a media type, for example.

Greg, Suraiya, ... can you say a bit more about your usage scenario?
What kind of record would 'Calculator' or 'Duplication Master' appear
in, for example?