RE: TT and subtitling/captioning - separating timing from style f rom content

From: <Johnb@screen.subtitling.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:14:09 +0100
To: glenn@xfsi.com
Cc: public-tt@w3.org
Glenn,

further - might it be possible to replace the style attribute above
with a reference to an element (or portion of a style sheet)
that defines the style (to avoid multiple large style attribute
definitions)? E.g.

[JB> ] <Snip my crude example>

 This could be accomplished by declaring the animation elements separately,
and then referring to them for reuse. This would essentially be syntactic
sugar, but I would guess useful, at least in terms of saving typing and DOM
footprint, e.g., the above example might be expressed as:

<animations>
  <animation id="a1">
    <set attributeName="text-indent" to="10pt"/>
  </animation>
  <animation id="a2">
    <set attributeName="font-style" to="14pt"/>
  </animation>
</animations>
<timing>
  <seq>
    <cue select="id(T27)" dur="3s" use="a1"/>
    <cue select="id(T28)" dur="3s" use="a2">
  </seq>
</timing>

[JB> ]  This is exactly what I was thinking of!

I need to go away and investigate how you get this to work, i.e. what the
DTD / XSD would look like.

One final wrinkle:

what would be the impact of:

<par>
  <seq>
    <cue select="id(T27)" dur="3s" use="a1"/>
    <cue select="id(T28)" dur="3s" use="a2"/>
  </seq>
  <cue begin="1s" dur="2s" use="a3"/>
</par>

I.e. an attempt to modify the style partway through the sequence.

What would the 3rd animation be limited to - just that inside the <par>?

regards
John Birch

The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily

reflect the views and opinions of Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.