Re: Call for Objections on ISSUE-151

From: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 15:07:46 -0800
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org>
Thanks, Justin

I am still unclear of what the current editors' text implies. Does it mean that a browser that cannot handle exceptions is non-compliant and its DNT:1 signal could be ignored?

I have heard this interpretation from some and have heard others say no that is not the case.

I think my proposal (B) that it be OPTIONAL is clear and though I respectfully disagree with Shane's "MUST" language (C), the implication is clear. A DNT:1 signal from a browser that couldn't handle UGE could be ignored.

Can