From: Peter Swire [mailto:peter@peterswire.net]
Sent: 19 February 2013 19:55
To: David Singer
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org WG
Subject: Re: DNT: Agenda for Wednesday call, February 20

David:

1. "Market research" has been proposed as a permitted use, to go into the
text of the spec.  It is an important topic in practice for a range of
companies.  The DAA code, which overlaps in its coverage with DNT issues,
has an exception/permitted use for "market research."  To get adoption of
DNT, getting clarity on "market research" seems entirely relevant.

2. In talking with people since I sent the agenda, I believe "truncation of
URIs" may be a better term for the group than LBH.  This truncation point is
inter-woven with the definition of what counts as de-identified and what
uses are permitted for what length of time.  I continue to believe that
greater clarity on how long data is retained, for what purposes, and with
what provisions on the back end (delete, deID), are operationally key issues
for the compliance spec.

Peter

Professor Peter P. Swire

C. William O'Neill Professor of Law