RE: DNT: Agenda for Wednesday call, February 20

Peter:

I agree with David. There is far from a consensus for permitted use for
Market Research, which in any event requires consent in Europe (it is
explicitly called for in the EC and amended drafts of the DP Regulation).
Some of the market research people I talked to actually see the requirement
of consent as brand protection, as less respectable entrants would have
difficulty obtaining it.

On de-id, all the discussions I was party to concluded that the retention of
a UID would preclude de-identification. There may be possibilities of a
compromise which involved limited duration for identifier retention, with
suitable text to outlaw cloning, but no one has suggested an appropriate
range yet. If de-identification was simply secured by URL string limitation
I think we would end up with a laughable standard, not just a "null" one.

Mike