Re: ISSUE-5: definition of tracking

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 18:04:29 +0200
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>, "Aleecia M. McDonald" <aleecia@aleecia.com>
Roy,

whether you exclude access logs from the initial definitions or
whether you cover them by permitted uses is just a matter of taste.
So please do not use the definition for the access log argument. The
real question on access logs is the time of non-anonymized
retention. W3C anonymizes logs as a matter of policy after 6 weeks.
This also helps with exuberant subpoenae. We can (and should IMHO)
discuss this explicitly instead of complicating the definition.

Rigo