Re: ISSUE-5: definition of tracking

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 01:55:58 -0700
Cc: "Aleecia M. McDonald" <aleecia@aleecia.com>, W3 Tracking <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
On Sep 4, 2012, at 3:51 PM, John Simpson wrote:

> Perhaps I'm remarkably dense today.  I'm not sure I understand the distinction between David's definition and what you propose below. Could  please explain a little more?

I was hoping that the only significant distinction would be

   David: "retention or use"
   Roy:   "retention/sharing and use of that data
           for gathering information about the user over time"

The effect would be that simply retaining an access log would
not count as tracking unless it was used to track.

I also used words that align with the compliance definitions
(interaction instead of transaction) and slightly broadened what
is allowed to include session cookies (e.g., shopping carts).

....Roy