From: Rigo Wenning [mailto:rigo@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:04 AM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Roy T. Fielding; John Simpson; Aleecia M. McDonald
Subject: Re: ISSUE-5: definition of tracking

Roy,

whether you exclude access logs from the initial definitions or whether you cover them by permitted uses is just a matter of taste.
So please do not use the definition for the access log argument. The real question on access logs is the time of non-anonymized retention. W3C anonymizes logs as a matter of policy after 6 weeks.
This also helps with exuberant subpoenae. We can (and should IMHO) discuss this explicitly instead of complicating the definition.

Rigo