Re: Issue-5: What is the definition of tracking?

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 04:58:25 -0700
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
On Oct 1, 2012, at 5:43 PM, John Simpson wrote:

> Nonetheless, here is a proposed definition of tracking, with which I could live:
>
> "Tracking is the collection and correlation of data about the Internet activities of a particular user, computer, or device, over time and across a website or websites."

Not bad, but I think we should try to exclude functionality within a
single first-party context.  I ran across another definition yesterday:

http://blog.privacychoice.org/2011/03/22/a-working-definition-of-do-not-track/

  "The non-consensual use or transfer
   of behavioral data collected
   across websites or applications
   as to an individual, computer or device."

which I think is pretty close, but the wording is tortuous.

How about:

"Tracking is any non-consensual collection, correlation, or transfer of
data about the Internet activities of a particular user, user agent, or
device beyond the (first party) context in which that activity occurred."

Cheers,

....Roy