Issue-5: What is the definition of tracking?

From: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 17:43:37 -0700
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Colleagues,

Some members of the working group have asserted that we can't write a standard unless we define tracking.   I  don't hold that view.  It seems to me that we can describe how a DNT message is sent and what compliance obligations it prompts when it is received.

Nonetheless, here is a proposed definition of tracking, with which I could live:

"Tracking is the collection and correlation of data about the Internet activities of a particular user, computer, or device, over time and across a website or websites."

I apologize that will not be in Amsterdam.  Budget realities preclude it. I shall endeavor to be an active participant via the phone bridge and IRC.

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate
Consumer Watchdog
2701 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 112