Re: Work ahead; volunteers?

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 09:13:14 +0100
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Kevin Smith <kevsmith@adobe.com>, Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, Matthias Schunter <mts@zurich.ibm.com>
On Tuesday 06 March 2012 12:49:32 Kevin Smith wrote:
> Rigo - I do agree that the 1st party would like to know which 3rd parties
> its visitors are uncomfortable with, however, that only works if the user
> has any clue what the various 3rd parties do so that they can make an
> intelligent decision.

Kevin,

this issue was solved by P3P and didn't work. And having too many 3rd parties
where the user doesn't know what they are doing have let to a general feeling
of discomfort and that's why we are here. So denying the underlying issue will
not buy us anything.

as a complement to my other response: At the end of the day, the browser can
control the interaction and the browser can request a 3rd party resource, or
not. So 3rd parties better declare that they have implemented DNT to generate
some confidence. We are creating an entire new ecosystem here. And all have to
adapt to this new ecosystem. The user has to make responsible choices. First
parties have to take their responsibilities on what to allow on their site.
And third parties have to work to regain some confidence. Hiding doesn't help
here.