Re: JS Exception API

Nick,

On Tuesday 06 March 2012 16:22:11 Nicholas Doty wrote:
> > If sites only use "*", then I agree with you that it makes sense to
> > scrap the per-3rd-party affordance altogether, as it has the side
> > effect of massively simplifying implementations, and it solves the "DNT
> > value accessibility from Javascript" issue. In other words, there would
> > only be one possible DNT value per DOM, which means that any 3rd-party
> > script will get the correct value.
> I agree that we can use implementation experience to help guide us here. If
> no site ever uses anything but "*", then there would evidently be no use
> for that parameter. I'm not sure that's the case given what we've heard
> from publishers, but I'm very interested to hear more input there.

My concern is that this risks to create a self fulfilling prophecy. If we
create a system where only the answer "*" makes sense and see that all will
only answer with "*" than we have just seen the promise of the system we
created.

So if we have only one value, we can go back to the DNT value scoped per
request that was so simple and logic and did not distinguish between 1st and
3rd parties. If we can't know which 3rd party and who does what, I agree with
TomL who legitimately asks why we then should distinguish anyway. In this
case, there will be no options, just one DNT header sent and everything is
left to the server side compliance implementations of the various parties
involved.

In simple words. If the system proscribes bundling into one bucket, 1st party
sites will only be able to use buckets and put themselves into it.

Best,

Rigo