Re: [webvtt] Spec editing

On 24/09/2015 08:30, "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 13:24:54 +0200, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
>
>wrote:
>
>>> As David said, the CG and the WHATWG is basically the same and has
>>> always
>>>
>>> been for WebVTT. WHATWG is also a W3C CG. Having the repo in the whatwg
>>> github organization just seemed like a more natural place if we host
>>>the
>>> editors' draft at webvtt.spec.whatwg.org.
>>
>> It's not my view that the CG and the WHATWG are basically the same,
>> though
>> I agree that many of the active participants are in both groups. I do
>>not
>> think there's any particular need to host the editor's draft at
>> whatwg.org
>> - that should be a consequence of the decision on where to work on this
>> spec rather than a causal factor.
>
>The particular need given in the original message was that I didn't want
>to maintain Philip's custom webhook that was used to publish the spec in
>its current location. It's a weak argument, but it appeared that there
>were no objections in the CG to change the spec's URL.

1 day was not enough notice for this decision. I do object to it, since it
has removed the clear linkage between the CG and the repository. A
github/w3c repo should be used not a whatwg repo, and the name should be
chosen to make it clear that it's a WM-TTCG repo.

Nigel

http://www.bbc.co.uk

If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the