Re: Achieving interoperability, was Re: Clarity over direction of work on runtime and security model?

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile
<chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:45:41 +0200, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Kis, Zoltan wrote:
>>
>>> Then, it may be that some of the standardized API's in SysApps reach
>>> only hundreds of developers instead of thousands (like Telephony), if
>>> those hundred are relevant from business point of view (like
>>> operators).
>>

>> So I'm wondering what is the inherent value here in having such a standard
>> (e.g., for operators)? For example, do we expect Mozilla's dialer to be
>> interchangeable with Tizen's dialer?
>

> Yes, and that's the real value. (And if what we are doing is a good idea,
> then you can assume that over time there will be more than Mozilla and Tizen
> - otherwise the work would be a waste of W3C's resources)
>
> There are some things done in nearly every web page, and some done "only" in
> hundreds - by hundreds of developers in dozens of countries. Making them
> interoperable is generally useful.

I agree with Chaals. This was a side point, but important. Reducing
the "lock-in" factor in a technology is a must for fast expansion.
Also, by providing for the top 20% hard use cases too is a sign of
maturity of the platform. It will have an effect on other API's as
well. SMS and MMS and related to the same operator services. Other
services are being deployed with IMS/VoLTE/RCS. Enabling lower entry
cost for operator's effort in bringing value added services to web
platforms, making possible differentiation is a win-win scenario. The
Telephony API has been designed with that evolution in mind (even if
not everything of that is visible yet).

Back to the original point, I think it is absolutely worth working on
app lifecycle model, manifest and permissions/security hardening
mechanisms, and differences in signing are not show-stoppers. Opinions
are welcome.

Best regards,
Zoltan