Re: Achieving interoperability, was Re: Clarity over direction of work on runtime and security model?

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:03:11 +0200
To: "Kis, Zoltan" <zoltan.kis@intel.com>, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com>
Cc: "Nilsson, Claes1" <Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com>, "Kenneth Rohde Christiansen" <kenneth.christiansen@gmail.com>, "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>, "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>, "Isberg, Anders" <Anders.Isberg@sonymobile.com>
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:45:41 +0200, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Kis, Zoltan wrote:
>
>> Then, it may be that some of the standardized API's in SysApps reach
>> only hundreds of developers instead of thousands (like Telephony), if
>> those hundred are relevant from business point of view (like
>> operators).
>
> So I'm wondering what is the inherent value here in having such a
> standard (e.g., for operators)? For example, do we expect Mozilla's
> dialer to be interchangeable with Tizen's dialer?

Yes, and that's the real value. (And if what we are doing is a good idea,
then you can assume that over time there will be more than Mozilla and
Tizen - otherwise the work would be a waste of W3C's resources)

There are some things done in nearly every web page, and some done "only"
in hundreds - by hundreds of developers in dozens of countries. Making
them interoperable is generally useful.

> Or is it just to make some more stuff royalty free through the W3C's
> patent policy?

That's a relatively minor side benefit IMHO, although it is of course a
Good Thing™

cheers